Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How Do You Guys Do It?

Well, I'm at the day job today, and I want to know the secret.

The large majority of folks that do their art full time, or full time with a part time job, had a full time job at one point, before their art started to become self-supporting. But wow, that's rough! How do you possibly work one job that's 40 hours a week (46 if you count the commute and the half hour unpaid lunch breaks) while creating, preparing for craft fairs, actually going to craft fairs, marketing artwork, shipping artwork, and maintaing a website? And it's not like I'm doing a whole lot of other stuff - I spend about an hour or an hour and a half with my husband before bed each night (usually while working on a project) and hardly ever clean house or go out with people. I feel burnout coming on...

I'll do it because I have to do it...because this job is driving me insane and I'd rather jump off a building than continue to go to it for the next 44 years. I'd almost rather jump off a building than stay here another year. I've just got to make the art work. Before they fire me or I lose it.

2 comments:

Wild Sage Lampwork said...

If you find out let me know too! I work 48 hours a week nights, with a 40 minute commute each way. Then run myself ragged on the weekends with yardwork , shopping etc. Make beads in the evenings. Wish I could do it all weekend. Good Luck!

merritt said...

It's so rough, isn't it! I guess we'll have to make it work some how!